Skip to content
April 29, 2014
Book of Mormon Contradictions
1 Nephi 10:17 “…he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost; which power he received by faith on the Son of God.”
- Supposedly written 600 – 592 B.C.
- Power not given until Day of Pentecost
- Jesus told disciples, “…ye shall receive power, after the Holy Ghost is come upon you” (Act 1:8)
- Messiah was expected but never referred to as “Son of God”
2 Nephi 1:3 – “Land of promise” is America
- Land of promise was Canaan (Heb 11:8-9)
- America not mentioned in Bible
- No Geographical or Archaeological evidence
2 Nephi 25:19 “For according to the words of the prophets, the Messiah cometh in six hundred years from the time that my father left Jerusalem; and according to the words of the prophets, and also the word of the angel of God, his name shall be Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
- Prophecy of “Jesus Christ”
- “Christ” was not His last name
- First time an angel mentioned “Jesus” was when Gabriel appeared to Mary (Luk 1:31)
- “…and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace” (Isa 9:6)
Mosiah 2:3 “Offer sacrifice and burnt offerings according to Law of Moses.”
- Nephites & Lamanites allegedly from Tribe of Manasseh
- Only Tribe of Levi could give attendance at the altar (Exo. 28-31; Num. 3:7; Neh.7:63,65)
Alma 46:15 – all those who were believers in Christ were called Christians
- Supposedly written 73 B.C.
- Acts 11:26 – Christians first at Antioch
- “Christian” never found in Old Testament
Mosiah 18:17 “And they were called the church of God, or the church of Christ, from that time forward…”
- Supposedly written 145 B.C.
- Impossible for anyone to belong to the church – not yet established!
- Christ established church after His resurrection on Day of Pentecost (Acts 2)
- Jesus said years later, “…upon this rock I will build my church…” (Mat 16:18)